Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Solo Travels


I read an interesting statistic today, 45 percent of solo travelers are female. Up until a few years ago I would never have considered traveling on my own, but I have now racked up a few trips for work and I am more open to taking a vacation on my own in the near future. Of course, there are probably a few places I wouldn't feel safe going alone, like South Africa or maybe Egypt, but I might be willing to give Rome or Paris a shot solo.

I think it is perfectly safe to travel as a woman alone as long as you follow the basic safety guidelines, many of which are common sense.

  • Be aware of male attention. Flirting and courtship vary from country to country. In certain places making eye contact is considered a heavy come on. What is deemed provocation and consent can vary, so do your research before you go. You may even want to pick up a cheap gold wedding band as this is an internationally recognised symbol of being unavailable. You must also dress appropriately.
  • Self defence is important You could take a few classes before travelling or perhaps carry mace, but be sure to check this is legal in your destination. You should carry a mobile phone for emergencies.
  • Hygiene can leave a lot to be desired in foreign countries so take your own toilet peper, sanitary items, hand sanitizer and condoms if sex is a possibility.

Like I said, most of it is common sense, but it pays to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment